An SSL is a Secure Socket Layer whose magnificence is displayed by the presence of a green padlock and HTTPS on the address bar. The time required for an SSL certificate to take effect is dependent on a variety of factors. For example:
- A free SSL certificate with let’s encrypt: This one can take effect in minutes depending on the how efficient you are in executing the required processes. For this kind of certificate, you will be required to manually install it on the web-server or through the web hosting control panel. If all setting and installations are done correctly, the SSL is activated barely a minute after restarting the computer.
- A free Cloudflare SSL certificate: Cloudflare services sit between the servers and the browsers. The company mostly deals with content delivery network, DDOS, internet security, and a variety of many other services. They facilitate the secure transfer of data by offering both premium and free SSL certificates. The free SSL is not as easy to install since it requires the user to set up an account as well as change the servers to the ones provided by Cloudflare. The process is involving but once it’s completed, the activation of the certificate takes anywhere between 40 minutes, but they give a maximum of 24 hours.
- Comodo SSL certificate: Comodo is a well-respected name on the internet security, and it offers a variety of SSL certificates. This means it caters for both small and large businesses. The company boasts of extreme efficiency in the issuance of its certificates. The standard SSL takes hours to take effect after activation. There is also a free SSL if you wish to test the Comodo SSL certificate for 90 days on your site.
- Wild card SSL certificate: A wildcard certificate covers a single primary domain and all the related subdomains. It’s most ideal for those people who have multiple websites. The activation of the certificate basically depends mostly on the number of domains involved, but once every process is completed; independently, of course, the activation process takes less than 4 hours.
- Domain validated SSL certificates: A domain-validated certificate is the one that covers only one domain, and the verification level is restricted to the whois details. As such, the SSL can take effect almost instantly after activation because there is a minimal level of verification. This category of SSL certificate is the lowest ranking in the market. If there are any DNS records to be updated, the process can take up to a maximum of 72 hours.
Why do you need an SSL certificate?
The main reasons why a website owner requires an SSL certificate can be compared to the reason why humans also wear clothing. Clothe are meant to cover the body as well as protect it from other hazardous environmental factors. An SSL certificate ensures that whatever you are doing on the internet is well guarded.
There are many people out there who would like to access the information you are sharing over the internet. For example, criminals will be happy to get your personal information or credit card information. On this, the SSL certificate ensures that the data is transmitted in an encrypted form. Even if the data is intercepted, there is nothing that can be made out of the information.
The SSL certificate also adds to the trust level of the website users. Majority of the people believe that the presence of a green padlock, as well as the HTTPS, is enough measure to protect their data. As such, they easily share information or are willing to serve longer on a certain website. However, despite a website having the green padlock, it’s also recommended you take reasonable care before entering your sensitive personal data on any website.
The SSL certificate has also been found to increase website ranking basically due to the increased traffic from the high trust level some search engines like Google have also explicitly stated that they give a ranking boost to all sites that use HTTPS.
What are different types of SSL certificates in the market?
There are different classes of SSL certificates, and the choice on which one to take is mostly determined by the functionalities you have incorporated on the website. For example:
- Domain validated certificate: Is ideal for bloggers who have no much to hide from the public. Majority of their posts and comments are shared publicly. The certificate holder will only certify that the buyer has administrative privileges to the said domain.
- Extended validated SSL certificate: If you buy this type of certificate, you will be required to provide some additional personal and business information to certify that the claimed website is valid and carries on a business which is legally registered on a certain country. This certificate is a bit expensive due to the verification process involved.
- Free SSL certificate: Lack of finances should not hinder you from getting an SSL certificate for your site. We can help you set up your SSL certificate from Cloudflare at a reasonable cost. The best thing about the SSL certificate is that it doesn’t expire. Your cash is also safe since all payments are made through PayPal. Incase anything goes wrong, your cash will be refunded, but we also have a strong support system that handles all the unforeseen challenges during the SSL installation process.
Certificate authorities work as guarantors to a website owner. They stand on behalf of the website owner when the browsers query the authenticity of the website. The browsers cannot also trust every certificate authority out there since there are even self-signed SSL certificates. The most trusted certificate authorities in the market are:
- Let’s encrypt
The time taken for an SSL certificate to take effect is dependent on a variety of factors. Some of these factors include; the type of SSL, the response time for any query from the certificate authorities, and the number of domains covered. The fewer the domains to be sorted, the faster the SSL certificate is installed and activated.